Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chapter Eleven

11
Darcy Tucker
_______________________


"Um, hi, my name is Darcy."  Stupid, stupid, stupid! How did I let Tiffy talk me into this? My heart slammed against my ribs so loudly I was sure this attractive stranger could hear it. Attractive, heck, he was the most amazing looking man I'd ever seen. And I wasn't blind.

The man smiled up at me, a million dollar smile, his eyes lighting with humor and something more. Something I didn't understand.

"Darcy?" He inquired, humor tickling the sultry tones of his voice. He had a voice made for black silk sheets and candles. I blushed furiously at the thought. His eyes took a slow stroll over my body; I had to resist the urge not to shiver, before his eyes came back to mine.

"Nice outfit." The corners of his eyes crinkled sexily. Who knew men's eyes could do that? Certainly not me.

"Oh, uh, thank you. It's new." I stammered, looking down at the black dress and mustard yellow tights. I still thought I looked stupid, but hey, if he liked it I might have to adjust my thinking.

"Would you like to join me, Darcy?" His voice, smooth as honey, wrapped around my brain, muddled it. I couldn't think. I couldn't speak. Before I knew it I was nodding stupidly and moving into the vacant chair beside him.

"Um..I'm sorry, but, who are you?" I shook my head, trying to clear the haze that was infecting my brain. What was wrong with me? Sure I was a shy person, but I'd never had this much trouble talking to someone. Of course, the people I usually talked to didn't walk right off the cover of GQ. I was certain Tiffy had been wrong. She'd set this up. It all made sense now.

"Are you a friend of Tiffy's?"

"Tiffy? No. Can't say I know a Tiffy." He leaned close, taking my hand in his. I marveled at the feel of it. Rough, working hands. His fingers slid along my palms, to the delicate skin of my wrist. "I'm Dane."

My heart was definitely pulling overtime. I didn't know if I would survive this encounter. I forced myself to swallow, then politely pulled my hand from his and reached for the glass of water. I gulped it down.
"Am I making you nervous, Darcy?" His blue eyes were full of mischief and promise.

"I..Uh..I just don't know who you are. I'm a little confused." My hand fluttered a little as I pressed it to my chest, willing my heart to slow. I was getting light headed. How did Tiffy and Evie do this? Even Rae could talk to men. And here I was about to pass out from a few sentences. I should have joined a convent.

"What kind of game are you playing?"He muttered, waving off the waiter starting our way. He ran his finger tips along the stem of his water glass. A slow, seductive dance. My eyes were drawn to them. Up, down, up, down. My body trembled as I imagined those fingers on me.

"Oh!" I cried as I fumbled my glass. Water spilled over the table cloth, tinkling onto the floor. "I'm so sorry!" I cried, jumping up and grabbing napkins, dabbing hastily at the floor.

I stopped when his hand came around my wrist, pulling me up. He was taller than me, but I liked that. His hair was a mass of inky black, curling slightly. Some piece of me itched to run my fingers through it.

"Let's take a walk?"

My head bobbed at his suggestion, offering no resistance as he pulled me from the restaurant. I felt as if I were floating. The brightness of the afternoon brought me out of my stupor. I shook my head, once more trying to clear the haze. The sounds of the city helped some.

"Wait, wait!" I dug my heels in and stopped, lurched forward slightly as he pulled my arm. I tugged my hand away, wondered at the moment of regret, and stared him down.

"Just who the heck do you think you are? What did you do? Hypnotize me so you could take me home and...and...do ....things to me? Well, here's news for you buster! I'm not that kind of girl!" I slapped my hand against his chest and shoved my way past him. I'd made it two steps before his hand was around my waist and he was easily pulling me into an ally.

"Just what the hell kind of game are you playing?" His eyes were hard as he looked down at me. His hands gripped my arms as he shook me. "What the hell?"

I whimpered my heart racing in panic as I tried to pry his fingers from me. My eyes darted to the street, to the people milling around. Would I be able to scream? Would anyone help me? I fought back tears as I kept my eyes on his, ready and willing to give him a swift kick.

"Why do you keep asking me about a game? I have no idea what you're talking about and don't use that kind of language around me!" I slapped my hand against his chest, hoping my bravado would save me.

Then he smiled, the quick little boy grin, and my brain went to mush again. Then his lips were upon mine. Testing, teasing. His hands were light on my waist, pulling me closer as he took the kiss deeper. I went with him, what choice did I have? My brain exploded as the taste of him washed over me. My arms wrapped around his neck as a sigh escaped.

My whole body tingled. I felt the rough brick of the wall bite into my back as he pushed me against it. The feel of his hands along my sides. The feel of him. I moaned softly as he pulled back, his eyes on mine, a smile on his lips.

"Oh my stars." I whispered. Pressing a hand to my quivering belly I looked up at him, a small smile curving my lips. "Now who's playing games."

His smile bloomed once more, making my heart melt. He lifted a hand and tucked my hair behind my ear. "I'd apologize, but I'd be lying."

I laughed softly, shaking my head. What was I doing? I didn't even know this man, and I'd let him kiss me senseless. Well, Tiffy was always telling me I needed to loosen up. What better way to do so than with someone like him?

"Darcy," He whispered, the humor back in his voice, "I'd like to take you out sometime. Officially. Maybe to a movie, this weekend?"

I stared up at him, then quickly dug into my purse and grabbed a pen and paper. Who was I to deny Destiny when she slapped you in the face? I scribbled down my number and shoved the paper in his hand before I could forget.

"I would love to." I giggled, then slipped past him, afraid that I would change my mind if I stayed too long. I stopped at the street and looked back.

"I hope to see you again soon, Dane."

"Oh, you will." His grin held enough promise that my insides melted. I giggled once more, then spun around and skipped down the street. I ducked into the restaurant, but didn't see Tiffy. She must have gone home. I thanked the hostess, then ran down the street, my shoes slapping against the sidewalk. My face hurt from smiling, but I couldn't wait to tell the girls what I'd done.

No comments:

Post a Comment